Sunday, January 25, 2009

Christy's hat

After months of promising Christy that I would knit her something, I made her a hat from a pattern in this book. This was my first attempt at cables. I made a few modifications to lengthen it, remove the ribbing between the cables, and change to ribbing at the bottom of the hat to k2p2 so that the cables look like they start in the ribbing (a modification I saw on knittingelephant's version of this hat on ravelry).

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Aiden's new booties

Aiden has finally outgrown the first pair of booties I made him, so I made a bigger pair from another pattern in the same book. I’m getting better at modifying patterns to add holes for a tie. I used the same technique as in the tight knitted boxy mittens pattern, binding off two stitches in one row and then m2k stitches I the same place on the next row. It makes for good, sturdy holes that don’t disappear as the pattern is stretched and pulled. I’m still looking for a good alternative to an i-cord (I made a double-stranded one this time to match the two colors in the booties).