Saturday, April 18, 2009

Bumblebee booties

Another baby gift. I decided to try something a little creative. This is sort of a hybrid pattern, combining two patterns from Easy Knitted Socks with some added modifications that I came up with. The basic pattern is the textured baby bootees pattern (smallest size), adding stripes following the technique described in the stripy toddler toasties pattern (doubling the width of the stripes). I also added wings with the following pattern:

Rows 1-4: K1, m1, k until last stitch, m1, K
Rows 5-12: K
Rows 13-16: K1, k2tog, k until two stitches left, k2tog, k
BO knitwise

I made the antennas by picking up a stitch making a couple of rows and binding off. It was a nightmare (particularly trying to get them in the right place, which I was clearly only moderately successful with) and I will never use that technique again if I make another pair of these booties!